1916 - Present

Burradon and Camperdown 1916 - Present

The colliery was the dominant feature of Burradon and Camperdown life until its closure in 1975. The slag heap, pit-head winding gear, smoke and the rumble of locomotives were never far from the senses. However, what comes across in the following sources is the steady improvement in living conditions for the mineworkers from previous times and also being less cut off from the outside world with the introduction of public transport. The mineworkers organised various self-help groups, establishing a welfare ground, a doctor and a nurse amongst other social benefit schemes. The housing was gradually improved with better amenities.

Burradon did become smaller, however, with the establishment of a new settlement, called Fordley, on its northernmost land.

 

Chronology

1919 April 22nd - Electric cutters were first used in Burradon pit to drill holes.

1919 October 17th - Burradon pit heap was on fire causing the closure of the colliery. Work did not resume until into November.

1920 March 1st - The allotments at the rear of Burradon Terraces were acquired by the residents.

 

1921 - Kelly's Directory of Northumberland:

Burradon Commercial:

  • Ainsley, William; Grocer and Beer Retailer [Fryer's Terrace]
  • Anderson, Henry; Cartage Contractor [1910 Thomas Anderson, Blacksmith and 1891 John Anderson, Blacksmith]
  • Atkinson, John; Shopkeeper [x1897 Watchmaker and Grocer]
  • Bolton, Joseph; Grocer and Draper [1910 and since 1871 Alexander Bolton, Grocer and Draper on Burradon Road just north of the school]
  • Burradon and Coxlodge Coal Company
  • Social Club (Wm Nicholson Sec.]
  • Cook, John; Grocer [1897 Weetslade Terrace]
  • Cramlington and District Co-op Society
  • Hardy, Mary (Mrs); Stationer and Post Office [1891 James Hardy, Joiner and Cartwright, Weetslade Terrace]
  • Kell, Edward William; Carpenter and Joiner
  • Mechanics Institute (James Littlefair Sec.)
  • Thompson, John; Smith [x1906 now a car repair workshop at entrance to recreation ground]
  • Thompson, John James; Confectioner [x1910 Cycle Repairer just north of the school]
  • Wilson, William; Grocer [x1910]
  • Younger, William; Farmer

 

Camperdown Commercial:

  • Ainsley, Robert and Sons; Farmers [x1905 Hillhead]
  • Cook, Jane Ann (Mrs); Shopkeeper [x1910]
  • Cuthbertson, Henry; Newsagent [x1910]
  • Ferguson Hannah (Mrs); Halfway House [x1905-10 John Ferguson]
  • Fynes, Thomas and Co; Grocers [1910 Emily Fynes (miss)]
  • Ludkin, Hannah (Mrs); Shopkeeper
  • Midwood, Joshua; Shopkeeper
  • Morrison, Joseph Burn; Butcher [x1891 Front Street, now a bookies]
  • Oubridge, Henry; Camperdown Inn [x1905]
  • Patterson, Robert; Shopkeeper
  • Saint, Joseph W; General Dealer
  • Tyson, Thomas W; Grey Horse Inn
  • Elizabeth Hardy, Sub-Postmistress

 

1921 - A war memorial was commissioned in the form of a cottage for a village nurse. 1921 was the year of a long-running and bitter miner's strike and saw a rise in self-help and benevolant schemes, although there had long been a tradition of the mineworkers pooling their resources for mutual benefit.

1921 March 9th - The Victoria Picture House was opened. This was located to the west of West Row.

1921 May 15th - Burradon Brass Band gave a concert in Gosforth Park in aid of the Soup Kitchen.

1921 May 16th - The Corporation bus route was extended to run to Seaton Sluice. A steam bus had first started operations through the community in 1914.

1921 July 6th - Burradon Colliery was put back to work after a thirteen week strike by the miners.

1923 January 15th - The building of Ethel Street in Dudley was completed. This had been commissioned by Burradon Colliery.

1923 February 12th - Thomas Gray became the manager of the Co-op.

1923 September 15th - The gutter carrying water from the colliery passed Burradon Terraces to the burn at Annitsford was piped in.

1925 May 9th - Aged miner's homes in Dudley were completed and began to be occupied.

 

1925 - Kelly's Directory of Northumberland:

Councillors of Longbenton UDC Burradon Ward

  • G. Bell
  • T. Haswell
  • R.E. Shillaw
  • Master of School, William Robert Hindmarsh
  • Mistress of School, Miss Margaret Fryer [x1910]
  • Correspondent, Joseph Bormond

 

Burradon Commercial

  • Anderson, Henry; Cartage Contractor [x1921]
  • Bolton, Joseph; Grocer and Post Office [x1910; premises on Burradon Road now a men's hairdressers]
  • Burradon and Coxlodge Coal Company
  • Social Club (Wm Nicholson Sec.]
  • Cook, Michael; Grocer [1897-1921 John Cook, Weetslade Terrace just south of Butcher's (Clough's) shop]
  • Cramlington and District Co-op Society
  • Latimer, Mary Jane (Mrs); Grocer and Beer Retailer [Fryer's Terrace]
  • Mechanics Institute (James Littlefair Sec.)
  • Means, Robert; Shopkeeper
  • Newcastle Electric Supply Company [1st mention]
  • Thompson, John; Smith [x1906 now a car repair workshop at entrance to recreation ground]
  • Thompson, Elizabeth (Mrs); Confectioner [1921 John James Thompson, just north of the school]
  • Wilson, William; Grocer [x1910]
  • Younger, William; Farmer; Telephone Dudley 3
  • Camperdown Commercial
  • Box, James; Camperdown Inn
  • Cuthbertson, Margaret (Mrs); Newsagent [1910-21 Henry Cuthbertson]
  • Fynes, Thomas and Co; Grocers [x1921; 1910 Emily Fynes (miss)]
  • Hann, Mary (Mrs); and Sons; Grocers [x1910; shop beside Grey Horse]
  • Hill, George; Shopkeeper
  • Ludkin, Jane (Mrs) and Co; Shopkeeper [1921 Hannah Ludkin]
  • Midwood, Joshua; Shopkeeper [x1921]
  • Moore, Thomas; Travellers Rest PH
  • Morrison, Joseph; Butcher [x1891 Front Street, now a bookies]
  • Ord, John William; Farmer; Telephone Benton 139 [Hillhead]
  • Oubridge, Henry; Camperdown Inn [x1905]
  • Pickering, Joseph; Grey Horse Inn
  • Saint, Joseph W; General Dealer [x1921]
  • Victoria Picture House Company [1st mention]

 

1931 - Population 2273; 503 dwellings 4.52 person per dwelling. The population in 1901 was 2157.

1931 June - The road leading past Office Row was laid with tarmac.

1931 June - A road was constructed linking Annitsford with Seghill. This was opened by Stan Seymour.

 

1931 - Parliamentary Register, Borough of Wallsend, Burradon Ward:

  • Anderson's Buildings 1-11
  • Annitsford Terrace 1-14
  • Atkin Street 1-13
  • Bolton's Buildings 1-3, Joseph Bolton, Shopkeeper [x1925]
  • Burradon Farm, William Younger
  • Burradon Farm Cottages 1-6
  • Burradon Terrace 1-22
  • Camperdown Avenue 1-12
  • Co-operative Buildings
  • Double Row 1-14
  • Front Street, including: Railway Cottage, Grey Horse Inn, Joseph Pickering Landlord [x1925], Camperdown Hotel, George Robson Landlord, Travellers Rest, Robert Nixon Landlord, Rose View
  • Fryer's Terrace 2-20
  • Garden Terrace 1-12
  • Hedley's Buildings 1-7
  • Hillhead Farm, John Ord, Farmer living at Forest Hall
  • Hillhead Engine Cottage [the engine was marked as disused on a 1915 map, but the cottage remained in existence for a time afterwards]
  • Ivy Terrace 1-29
  • Mean's Buildings 1-11
  • Middle Row 1-49 missing the even numbers
  • Norah Place 1-6
  • North Row 2-54 missing the odd numbers
  • Office Row 1-40, John Templeton in Office House
  • Park View 1-10
  • Nurse's Home, Annie Alice Ions, Nurse
  • Post Office Row 1-10
  • Power Station, Thomas Henry Pickard
  • Quality Row 1-7
  • Quarry Row 1-5
  • Quarry Cottage
  • Rueben Terrace 1-10
  • Short's Buildings 1-8
  • Station Road, including: Halfway House, Arthur Barker, Landlord
  • Strawberry Terrace 1-7
  • Taylor's Buildings 1-6
  • Thompson's Buildings 1-3
  • Weetslade Terrace 1-31
  • West Row 1-32
  • West View 1-7
  • White's Buildings 1-4
  • Wilson's Buildings 1-2

Photographs from the 1920s show Lane Row still extant, but it is missing from the above list and can be presumed to have been demolished shortly before 1931.

 

1932 January 31st - A small fire occurred at the Mechanic's Institute.

1933 October 3rd - Lamps were installed and lit on Burradon Bank towards Annitsford.

1935 - Longbenton Urban District Council start to build housing on a field to the south of Camperdown Front Street (Bell Grove).

1935 - Kelly's Directory of Northumberland. See 1938 entry for commercial inhabitants, as there was no change from this year.

1936 July 1st - The United Bus Company (red buses) took over operations from the Corporation buses (blue buses). Services ran via Burradon from Newcastle and Longbenton to Cramlington and Seaton Sluice.

1936 October 26th - Construction was begun on a new road linking Burradon and Dudley. This was opened on June 21 1937.

1936 - New outside lavatories were installed at Burradon Terrace. These were flush toilets.

1937 January - The power sub-station and flats beside it, at the end of the farm track, were pulled down and a smaller power station built in their place.

1937 October 3rd - Miss Margaret Fryer, the long-time mistress of Burradon school, died at Middlesborough.

1937 November 5th - The colliery started to pay its workforce every Friday instead of fortnightly, as had been the long-standing custom. The week without pay had been known as baff week.

1938 February 28th - A fire occurred in the billiards room of the Mechanic's Institute.

1938 June 18th - The back lane of Burradon Terraces was paved.

1938 September 17th - The community was fitted with gas masks in preparation for the expected war.

 

1938 - Kelly's Directory of Northumberland:

Burradon Commercial

  • Anderson, Henry; Cartage Contractor; TN Dudley 11 [x1921]
  • Bolton, Joseph; Grocer and Post Office [x1910; premises on Burradon Road now a men's hairdressers]
  • Social Club (James Stringer Sec.)
  • Caller, Edward; Shopkeeper
  • Cramlington and District Co-op Society
  • Hazlerigg and Coxlodge Coal Company; TN Dudley 35
  • Mechanics Institute (Isaac Tomlinson Sec.)
  • Newcastle Electric Supply Company [x1925]
  • Robson, Geo Wm; Newsagent [wooden hut beside railway line on what is now the Millennium Green]
  • Thompson Bros; Grocers; TN Dudley 39 [various Thompsons trading in Burradon since 1905]
  • Thompson, Edward; Shopkeeper
  • Wears, Samuel; Grocer
  • Wilson, William; Grocer [x1910; at the end of Ivy Terrace and possibly at a later date became a draper]
  • Younger, William; Farmer; Telephone Dudley 3

 

Camperdown Commercial

  • Bolton, Geo; Shopkeeper [was previously a manager of the Co-op until the 1926 strike when he was dismissed for giving too much unrecoverable credit]
  • Camperdown Hotel; Henry Oubridge [x1905]
  • Charlton, Mary Ann (Mrs); Shopkeeper
  • Grey Horse Inn; John Johnson Hetherington
  • Hann, William; Grocer; TN Dudley 40 [various members of this family since 1910; shop beside Grey Horse]
  • Langley, Jessie (Mrs); Shopkeeper
  • Morrison, Joseph; Butcher [x1891 Front Street, now a bookies]
  • Ord, John William; Farmer; Telephone Benton 139 [x1925 Hillhead]
  • Patterson, Robert S; Shopkeeper
  • Rogerson, Maggie May (Mrs); Shopkeeper
  • Saint, Joseph W; General Dealer [x1921]
  • Travellers Rest Public House; T. Wilkinson
  • Victoria Picture House Company [x1925]
  • Wilson, Thomas; Shopkeeper

 

1938 November 23rd - Dr. John Dagg was appointed as the community G.P. This came about because of the death three months earlier of Dr. Roberts. Dr. Dagg operated from a wooden structure on Burradon Road. He lived at Forest Hall. Dr. White had been an interim replacement.

1938 - Miners were given the right to their first paid holidays of three days.

1938 - Robson and Jessie Campbell bought the shop which is now the Post Office. Rington's tea could be bought from here as the usual method of supply, a cart, did not visit Burradon.

1939 - William Sanderson is listed on the Parliamentary register as being the farmer of Hillhead.

1939 April 20th - Work commenced on the building of the Welfare Hall. This finally opened on December 30 1939 and was opened by James Bowman and James Taylor the colliery manager.

1939 April - Tenants were given the keys for the newly completed housing of Allanville.

1939 - Miners were now to be allowed one weeks' paid holiday.

1939 August 21st - The older children from Burradon were now to attend the school at Dudley.

1939 September - The Co-operative "store" was altered. The offices that had previously been at the front of the building were moved to the rear. The first floor hall was given over to a furniture department as the newly-built Welfare Hall now provided recreational functions, such as dancing.


Posted in

History

on Sep 15, 2017

Featured Images