The Restoration of the Burradon War Memorial

The Burradon War Memorial(“The War Memorial”) was built in 1921 with subscriptions from local residents to commemorate the village men who lost their lives in the Great War of 1914-18. A charitable trust was established to manage and maintain the War Memorial.

The War Memorial also provided accommodation for a nurse employed by local miners from Burradon Colliery to provide medical treatment for the miners and their families. The War Memorial was later referred to affectionately by residents as the Nurse’s Cottage.

Following the creation of the National Health Service, there wasn’t a need for the miners to provide medical care for the local community and as a consequence miners were permitted to rent the property.

Burradon Colliery closed in 1975 and during the subsequent years, both the number of Trustees and condition of the Nurse’s Cottage deteriorated until in 1999 the War Memorial Trust lapsed. The last remaining Trustee approached the Burradon & Camperdown Forum(“The Forum”) to discuss the options available to preserve the memorial and it was decided that the Nurse’s Cottage should be transferred to the Northumberland Aged Mineworkers Association(“NAMA”). A public meeting was held and the community unanimously agreed to the proposed transfer of the Nurse’s Cottage to the NAMA which was completed in 2003.

The NAMA completed a £20,000 refurbishment of the Nurse’s Cottage and the memorial tablets on the property. Major Anthony de Leask, Chairman of the National Almshouse Association officially unveiled the restored memorial during a ceremony held on 20 November 2004, members of the community and invited dignitaries attended the ceremony.

The members of the Forum wish to express their sincere gratitude to Major Bill Campbell and the Royal British Legion for their support.

Posted in Projects on Mar 22, 2018