It is with deep sadness that we announce the passing of Peggy Douglas.
Generations of children will remember Peggy as a cook at Burradon school and together with Connie Gourley served up deliciously nourishing food to legions of village children which ensured they had one good meal a day, especially when there were seconds for pudding!. The reputation of the food extended beyond the walls of the school and when the local councillors visited the school they didn’t leave until after lunch!
Peggy was born at Burradon Working Mens Club in 1927 into a traditional village family, her parents Robert and Ella Scobie were club stewards and with her sisters Annie, Doris and Irene lived on the premises. Peggy was a genuine and authentic Burradon lass.
Peggy married local miner Reggie Douglas in 1946 and initially lived on Fryers Terrace, later moving to Allanville with daughters Irene and Margaret. Following her retirement in 2000 having served under three heads, Mrs Dobson, Mr Lyall and Mrs Morgan, Peggy and Reggie moved to a bungalow in Forest Hall.
Despite moving to Forest Hall, Peggy remained a popular and respected figure in the village and regularly visited family and friends. Peggy’s daughter Irene, recalls that during her visits to the village or indeed to the shops in Forest Hall, former pupils or residents of the village would stop her for a chat to reminisce and it was evident from the conversations that people had retained a deep affection and respect for a genuinely kind and considerate lady.